Tatev monastery – the pearl of the Armenian architecture of the middle ages. It is located in southern Armenia in the Syunik Marz center, 315 km from Yerevan and 30 km from the town of Goris, on the right Bank of the Vorotan river near Tatev village of the same name. The monastery was built in IX — XIII century and consecrated in honor of St. Eustathius, the pupil of the Apostle Thaddeus, who, like his master, preached Christianity and died a Martyr for the new faith. First Church of the monastic complex was built in the IX century At the time lived in the monastery for several monks. In the XIII centuryTatev monastery became a residence of Syunik’s bishops. 1390 in 1435 the monastery worked Tatev University, the largest centre of philosophical and scientific thought of the middle Ages. The University was headed by philosophers, educators and prominent public figures Vorotnetsi O., and G. Tatevatsi.
848 G. the Prince Philip built the first Church and consecrated it in the name SV. Gregory the illuminator, but it was twice destroyed. In 1295, in the same place and the same name was built a Church with a narthex on the West side. Church. Gregory the illuminator with vaulted prayer hall and a semicircular altar adjacent to the main temple in the South-Eastern part. The main Church of the monastery Tatev monastery — Church of SV. Poghos-Petros. It was built in 895-906. 895 G. Bishop Hovhannes destroyed the old Church, and in its place built a new.The Bishop was removed from the walls of the old Church relics of the apostles Poghos and Petros, and again placed in the walls of their newly erected Church. The main attraction of the monastery is the «Gavazan», a swinging column, mounted in 904 the city near the living quarters of the monastery. The eight-metre stone pillar topped with a cross-stone. The main feature of this design is that the octagonal pillar can bend and return to its original position. Unique examples of Armenian architecture can be attributed to the gate Church.Astvatsatsin, built in 1087 g. Church facilities are surrounded by built in XVII — XVIII century Abbot’s quarters, storerooms, vaulted refectory with a kitchen, a bell tower, office and residential space.