Goshavank monastery is another masterpiece of ancient Armenian architecture. The monastery is situated in the dense oak woods of the splendid Dilijan district in the village of gosh. Goshavank was once one of the major medieval universities with the storage of books. Here, studied Armenian, Greek, Latin, some other foreign languages, and music. Besides the fact that the monastery was a school here were created and copied manuscripts. Goshavank was erected in 1188 on the place of ancient Getik monastery which was destroyed by an earthquake.Mkhitar gosh — a prominent Armenian thinker, statesman, author of numerous fables and parables and the author of the first criminal code, took part in the reconstruction of the monastery. In his honor was later given to the monastery.
Goshavank is free of external walls and is surrounded by wild mountain rivers and village houses. Only the peasants ‘ houses surround the monastery, some of which are at a considerable distance. The gorgeous landscape makes this site a most popular tourist destination.
The monastic complex includes the Church. Astvatsatsin (1196г.), Church. Gregory (1241г.), the porch (1203г.), the book Depository with a bell tower (1291г.), school (13th century), gallery (13th century) and the chapel (13th century). All buildings in the complex were built in the classical style with all the traditions of the era, without decor and with cross-shaped facade. The Central building is decorated with a huge dome or round tall drum.
Goshavank monastery is famous for its khachkars. One of them, placed at the entrance to the Church. Grigor, was created by one of the greatest medieval Armenian masters, Poghos, whose other masterpiece is presented in Yerevan, history Museum of Armenia. These two khachkars are called as embroidered due to the very complex and filigree technique.
Goshavank today is not a functioning religious complex of the Armenian Apostolic Church, although in recent years there have been some restoration work.