Dadivank (arm. Դադիվանք), or Khutavank (Armenian. Խութավանք, lit. “the monastery on the hill”) — Armenian monastery IX—XIII centuries. half a kilometer North of the Tartar river in Karabakh. The architectural complex is located at 1,100 m on the southern slope of wooded mountains.According to the administrative-territorial division of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, the monastery is situated in Shahumyan region of NKR.
The first name associated with the name SV. Dadi, who preached Christianity in the West of Armenia and was a disciple of Apostle Thaddeus, one of the seventy disciples of Christ. According to legend the monastery was built over his grave.
The second name originates from Armenian “hoot” (hill) and “Vank” (monastery): “monastery on the hill.”
Royal flag of the Principality of Khachen (Kingdom of Artsakh) during the reign of Grand Prince Hasan Jalal of Vahtangian (1214-1261)
The first sanctuary on the grave of the deceased in the I century BC SV. Dadi was built in the early middle Ages.
The first mention of the monastery belongs to the IX century.
In the first half of the XIII century monastic buildings, which was completely destroyed by the Seljuks, were restored, new buildings. It is now considered the heyday of the monastery. In 1214 Arzuhan Artsruni, the wife of Vakhtang Takavarasha, was erected the Cathedral Church of the monastery, the first half of the century also Dating from the porch of the chapel of Bishop Gregory.
To the end of XVIII century the monastery was a major cultural and religious center, it served a large village hut.
Since the XVII century, the convent begins to lose their land, the population of tens of the neighboring villages, including those belonging to the monastery were forcibly relocated to Persia. At the end of the eighteenth century 300 families left the hut and moved into the Erivan governorate.
In the XIX century the monastery was completely empty. Visiting the monastery in the middle of the century Archbishop Sargis Jalaliants described the ruins, which “served as a shelter for robbers, raided on Artsakh” (the end of XVIII century at the invitation of Ibrahim Khan in the monastery settled Kurds and irumi). Ancient sanctuary was transformed into pasture “for the flocks of sheep and cattle”. In front of the cellars and rooms of the abandoned stretches of the extensive gardens, where still grow wild fruit trees.
At the end of the same century the “Ararat” magazine wrote: the Monastery of tadea its structures like a rich populous quarter of the city, which is breath and life gives just the presence of people.
The khachkars in the bell tower. Delivered by Abbot of the monastery of Athanasius the son of the princes of Upper Khachen Hasan II DaPena and brother of Gregory II Dopana
The status of the chapel of Bishop Gregory in the first half of 1980-ies.
After the annexation of Eastern Armenia to Russia in 1830-ies Metropolitan Baghdasar Hasan-Jalalyan began the movement for the return of the monastery Church, supported later by the Catholicos of all Armenians Nerses V and the new Abbot of the monastery, priest Astvatsatur. In early 1910-ies of the Manager of the monastery’s possessions was appointed resident of Tiflis, Michaelovich Levon Ter-Avetikian, who, having collected the necessary documents, went to court. Contrary positive for the monastery of the order of the court nomads for a long time did not want to leave the earth has. However, by 1917 Ter Avedikian was conveyed to the monastery numerous pastures.
With the establishment of Soviet power all the monastic possessions were nationalized, and Dadivank was subordinated to the Azerbaijani authorities and the newly depopulated.
Shortly after the transfer of control over the monastery to the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic in March 1993, there was restoration work began on the means of the Armenian Apostolic Church and the state. Work is still going on.
In 1994 Dadivank was re-consecrated and is currently an active monastery Artsakh diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church.
July 21, 2007 in Dadivank was excavated, which under the stele near the altar, were discovered the relics of St. Dadi. According to the Primate of the Artsakh diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church Archbishop Pargev of Srbazan, the finding has a General value, is the greatest event for Christians all over the world